” … you can build your gratitude muscle by consciously choosing to be more grateful, and thereby you will be happier.” (Harvard study finds strong link between gratitude and happiness – http://www.phillyvoice.com/harvard-study-finds-strong-link-between-gratitude-and-happiness/)
It can be hard to have gratitude for your life after a divorce because so much of it can look so greatly different than your life did before, and some of it may not be happy changes. And if you have kids, they could be struggling with the same feelings. There’s always the feeling that you “lose” when you divorce because, in reality, you do usually lose money, objects, time with kids and properties, etc. You actually lose things.
However, we wouldn’t divorce if we felt we would simply just lose, lose, and lose. The flip side to all of this sad sack stuff is you win when you divorce. You really do. And if you find these “wins” then you will really be able to build true gratitude into your life after divorce.
When you are feeling like a grouchy sore loser, do these things to feel like a winner again!
1) Remind Yourself of Your “Wins”:
I don’t mean your literal wins like alimony or getting the family home…I mean the wins of divorce that you can’t see or touch. The wins of divorce that are daily manifestations of how you live after the divorce like:
– Winning peace in your home—no more fighting!
– Winning the chance at love again…the right love, and not the wrong one!
– Winning focused and concentrated time with your kids in which you can parent and breathe easier when you’re with them.
– Winning the chance of starting your life over again. Just think about all the miserably married people in the world who wouldn’t love that shot!