Healing from a broken marriage requires time, love and patience — to a different degree for each individual. How much time, love and patience you’ll need with yourself to heal really depends on a few things, like:
- How positive your outlook is
- How your mental health is to start, before the divorce process, as mental health issues may play into your healing
- How strong your support network is
- How self-aware you are of your own role in your marriage’s demise, whether it was picking a bad abusive partner, making bad choices on your end, or a mix of things
- How committed you are to having a better life after divorce
- How much change you need to make to finalize the divorce (housing, money, etc.)
No matter whether the cards are stacked for you or against you though, you can move on and heal from your broken marriage. It may seem hard to put the past behind you, but you have to. You have to leave it where it belongs…in the past. It can’t be changed, reversed or altered, so accepting what is and trying to decide what will be next is vital to your happiness. Your future is bright and your glass is always half-full!
Here are 8 signs you’ve healed past your broken marriage:
YOU WANT SOMEONE IN YOUR LIFE WITHOUT FEAR HE/SHE WILL BE A REPEAT
You’re not sitting around fearful that the next person will just be like your “insert bad word” ex spouse. Sure, you may be afraid to be vulnerable and get hurt, but the fear is not so paralyzing that you’re going to A: self-sabotage something with a great new partner or B: run from any commitment. You know you could get hurt and you’re scared, but not so scared that you’re about to stay home alone every Saturday night to protect yourself from getting hurt.